Monday, September 7, 2009

The Concept Of Wolves In Mirrors

There's a wolf hiding inside that mirror,
He looks a lot like me.
There's a wolf in the back shifting into a new dress,
She looks a lot like you.
And oh, they dance, and make their cute gestures
Aware of the fact that they stand on two legs
But both of them know, when they tire of this waltz,
They'll resort to their proper state and act on what they know.
I'm a wolf, flawed and fearful, staring in the mirror
And all I can see is you
Living in the skin of another human
Oh, why can't I stand on my own two feet?
At the end of every week, you show your civil teeth
Hoping that I'll see the clues
But I shrug it off and gnash, into your wounded flesh
Cuz I'm a wolf, baby, can't you see?

Don't act like you're conscious of what you're doing,
You're just acting on what you know
To run away, from a hungry slave
But what's after, darling? It's all unknown.
Don't make me into such a fool in your mind,
You know damn well you took part
For a bit of love after the absence of a crutch
Is all that's needed to make a strong new heart.

Can't say I didn't try everything in my repertoire
All those nights together couldn't soften the pain that I saw
Was there any truth left? I heard not my name in your breath.
Look in the mirror, baby, tell me you like what it holds
The soul of a lover trapped in the body of a wolf
Running away like they do, scavenge lives like they do.

This is just too rich, the irony's too thick
You wanted me to not throw a fit?
No! I'll break this champagne glass,
Apartment will collapse, and then you'll see just...
(Shh! Babe, just wait!)
You think you're the only one who wanted adventure?
The only one sick of this scenery?
Why don't I deserve a ticket out?
Oh, why couldnn't you have waited for me?

And like that wolf you are, you tear into my flesh
After all your promises that you'd never take revenge.
The wolf that I am, shamed and discontent
Will keep on fucking up until the lesson drills in.

Hold onto this shame
Cuz no one knows what you see inside that mirror
And stare for weeks and weeks
Praying what you see will eventually get better.

Cuz we know we can forgive, well how about forget?
What is it you're holding on to?
If the love you pledge exists, why are you for rent
To the most appealing facade shown to you?

Let sleeping dogs lie
I know where this sleeping dog lies
I know, I know with who the sleeping dog lies.

And as these words hit my liips, I'm still so reluctant
For all my mannerisms, as a wolf becomes a man
I'd kill for your hazel gaze, to be your firts sight as you wake,
But I've never been known to turn my shit into something great.
Where did you go? Are you hiding in that mirror?
Looking for something more promising?
But all you'll find is your refelction
And standing reight beside you is me.
So look at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment