Monday, September 7, 2009

Elephant

Please don't let me forget,
That I am an elephant.
Strong and proud and wise,
Dramatic in my size.

I clutch onto those days
I spent beside the waves
Spoiled and serene,
Collecting braver dreams.

I march off into war
Thunder coursing through the floor
To defend all I've earned
Against another herd.

I battle through the night
With friends that were so kind
Upon a hill so alive
With grassy-grass and grapevines.

They tear apart my tusks
Like piano husks
And make my loves take chase
Down towards the carnival plain.

They circle me, and inquire
"Why do you not taste fire?"
Proudly I start to stand tall
Yet foolishly, I cause these words to fall:

"I must never forget
That I am an elephant.
Though lessons learned may take toll,
They bring me to a crawl

These lesson etched into my head
Prevent me from joining the dead.
My memories profuse and rant
For I am an elephant."

The wayward comrades laughed
And pitied me, "so daft!"
And as my legs gave out
I heard one final shout

They clamored towards my flesh
And tore through all they could get.

I awoke as if from a deep sleep
From the subtle breeze of the sea
Please don't let me forget
That I am an elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment